Are you ready to bring your systems engineering skills to bear on some of the country’s most significant defense problems?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a systems engineer to help us deliver outstanding technical solutions to our sponsors. You will apply your systems thinking and analysis skills in a fast-growing, learn-as-you-go environment. We will support your professional development as a go-to person for understanding of defense systems architecture, operational concepts, and specifications. We give you the autonomy you want, the support you need, and all the opportunity you can handle. You will learn something new every day, always focused on making real operational impact.
As a Systems Engineer:
- Your primary responsibility will be to conduct thoughtful and high quality systems engineering activities for sophisticated air, missile, and multi-domain defense programs. As a member of a highly motivated team, you will contribute to operational concepts, construct architectural solutions, analyze requirements, and execute trade studies – all within the context of a digital engineering development process.
- You will prepare for and participate in technical interchange meetings and major program reviews, providing insight to contractor, government, and research laboratory participants.
- You will participate in the evolution of our Sector’s Digital Engineering capability. Whether it ‘s fielded equipment that needs new capability or an idea that exists only on a napkin, you will help identify the best tools for the job and integrate them into a growing digital engineering ecosystem.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, physics, or mathematics.
- Have at least 1 year experience working as a systems engineer.
- Are familiar with the principles of model-based systems engineering (MBSE).
- Are able to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
- Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You ‘ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have 3 or more years’ experience working on defense programs.
- Have 1 or more years’ experience with MBSE.
- Have a Top Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.